Planning relocation for your furry friends? Here’s a guide to pet relocation to varied countries!
New Delhi | June 20, 2022
Flying your pet to a different country is not as simple as booking a ticket and placing them on a flight; there is a procedure that has to be followed along with rules and regulations for each country. Pet owners have to evaluate a lot of aspects before relocating their fur babies to an international location.
There are a set of certain guidelines which have to be commemorated irrespective of the country of relocation, be it, the USA, UK, Canada, Dubai, Europe, or Singapore. These comprise specific documents like microchipping, health check certificates, vaccination reports, dog permits, etc.
Here are a few things which is mandatory to follow irrespective of country of pet relocation:
Pet owner’s passport, air ticket, visa copy
Assuring that your travel documents are in place before traveling can conserve a lot of time. The pet relocation businesses are of great aid in this and assist you in organizing all your important records such as passport, appropriate IDs, emergency contact numbers, NOC, etc. For safe traveling, the pet relocation businesses supervise to get a NOC (No Objection Certificate) from the Animal Quarantine and Certification Station, which has become necessary since the pandemic.
The vaccination record of your pets must be updated, with all the important vaccinations such as rabies, Feline Panleukopenia, Feline Rhinotracheitis, Feline Calicivirus, etc. You must have an updated vaccination book before getting on any international flight. Compulsory vaccinations mandated for pet dogs and cats can differ from country to country counting on high-risk or low-risk countries.
A microchip is a small device implanted underneath the skin between your dog or cat’s shoulder blades that comprise a Unique Identification Number (UIN) special to your pet. It’s a legitimate requirement in almost all the countries. Obtaining an ISO-compatible microchip before relocating your pets to any international location is compulsory.
Other than the above, below are the guidelines particular to distinct countries to relocate your pets:
- A rabies antibody titer test is not desired for cats, however, it is mandatory for dogs.
- Before immigrating to the USA, an International Health certificate is compulsory.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) lays out the requirements and eligibility guidelines for people applying for a CDC Dog Import Permit to carry their pets into the country. Whether returning or arriving in the country, pet owners must have a dog permit. The CDC Dog Import Permit for the USA must be applied at least six weeks before.
- Puppies too young to be vaccinated must be kept in quarantine until they are old enough to be vaccinated and then quarantined for at least 30 days after the immunization.
- You also need to obtain a certificate ratified by a local veterinarian asserting that the dog has been examined for screwworm within five days before shipment.
- Pets traveling to Dubai from low-risk countries must be vaccinated against rabies at least 21 days before the date of the journey.
- Before planning to take a trip, you should take your pet to the vet for an animal health certificate before ten days of traveling. The certificate needs to be ratified by an official veterinarian.
- Before bringing your pet to the UAE, you must get a tapeworm, parasite check, and medication, done for your pet as it is necessary.
- For the UK you must wait 21 days after the primary vaccination, before carrying your pet from a Part 1 or Part listed country, as mentioned by the government.
- You need to get a health certificate not more than 10 days before you travel
- For tapeworm treatment, it must be provided no less than 24 hours and no more than 120 hours (5 days) before you enter the country. Your pet can be refused entry or put into quarantine if you do not follow this rule.
- You do not need to treat your dog for tapeworm if you’re coming directly to Great Britain from Finland, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Malta, or Norway.
Direct transfer of pets from India to Australia is not authorized, they have to be sent through Dubai or Singapore. Relocating pets from India to countries like the USA, Canada and Dubai is simpler described to the UK and Europe.
All countries have their own set of laws and policies for pet relocation but for a safe and hassle-free experience, you can select pet relocation companies. A pet relocation company can assist in the process and organize all the important documents such as health certificates, vaccination certificates, import certificates, NOC, and other mandated documents.
This article originally appeared on India Today: https://www.indiatoday.in/information/story/travelling-with-your-pet-keep-these-rules-in-mind-1964542-2022-06-20Leave a reply